Cottage pie. Classic, epic Cottage Pie made properly, with a luscious filling. Cottage Pie – comfort food central! This English classic has a deeply savoury beef mince filling smothered in gravy topped with creamy. "Proper English Cottage Pie is a delicious, very traditional mince pie (beef) topped with mashed potato.
Warming to the tips of your toes, a comforting dish of cottage pie is one of the best things about Make it special with Mary Berry's dauphinoise topped cottage pie, or keep it simple with James. Cottage pie is actually older than shepherd's pie. Potatoes were affordable ingredients that were. You can have Cottage pie using 22 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Cottage pie
- Prepare 500 g of minced beef.
- You need 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 2 of small onion grated.
- Prepare 2 of small carrots grated.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic grated.
- You need 2 Tbsp of Worceshire sauce.
- Prepare 2 of Oxo cubes (beef stock cubes).
- It’s 300 ml of warm water.
- It’s 3 Tbsp of tomato puree.
- Prepare 200 ml of red wine.
- It’s 1 Tsp of rosemary (dry).
- It’s 1 Tsp of Thymes (dry).
- It’s 2 Tbsp of hot chilli powder (optional).
- You need of Mashed potatoes top.
- You need 500-550 g of floury potatoes cut to medium -small chunk (same size).
- It’s 50 g of butter.
- Prepare 100 of milk.
- It’s 2 of egg yolks.
- Prepare 2 of + Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese.
- Prepare of Seasoning.
- Prepare of Grated Parmesan cheese to top.
- You need of Salt & black pepper.
This classic cottage pie recipe is easy to make and would make the perfect family meal packed with minced beef, sweet tomatoes and topped with creamy mash. This Cheesy Cottage Pie is chock-full of vegetables in a rich beef gravy, and topped with a layer of Finally, assemble the Cheesy Cottage Pie. Traditional cottage pie with a rich meaty sauce, topped with creamy mashed potato, crisped up to golden perfection. Check out my tip for ensuring also get a jug of delicious gravy to pour on top.
Cottage pie step by step
- Heat up the oven at 190 c or 200 c for Halogen oven..
- Heat up the pan with olive oil and brown the minced beef. Season with salt & pepper..
- Add grated onion, carrots and garlic..
- Add worceshire sauce, tomato puree, rosemary and thymes. Stir them and let them cook. Don’t forget to season with salt & pepper..
- Pour in the red wine and reduce until almost completely evaporated. Add the oxo cubes and water, simmer until the sauce has thickened..
- When we reducing the sauce, cook the potatoes with high heat from cold salted water until the water are boiling. Reduce to low heat, close the lid for 8 -10 minutes. Drain them in colander and leave them dry for 5 minutes. Then return them to the pan. Mash them. Leave them to one side and add milk and butter in the pan. Season with salt & pepper..
- Heat the milk & butter. When the butter are melted. Mix the mashed potatoes in milk & butter. Turn off the heat. beat in the egg yolks, followed by about 2 tbsp grated Parmesan. Mix them up. Check for seasoning..
- Now we are ready to assemble. Add all beef sauce in the bowl (oven bowl or Pyrex bowl). Then add mashed potatoes on top. Season with salt, pepper and grated parmesan cheese on top of mashed potatoes. Don’t forget to fluff the top of mashed potatoes before putting in the oven..
- Bake in the oven for approximately 18-20 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown. I baked them in halogen oven for 30 minutes..
- Now, it’s ready yo be served.
Cottage pie is a combination of ground lamb or beef with mashed potatoes, topped with a bubbling layer of cheese is the perfect comfort food. Classic Cottage Pie Recipe photo by Taste of Home. Cottage pie, a traditional British dish, is comforting and utterly delicious! This is an easy recipe to Cottage pie is a traditional English dish made with minced beef, topped with mashed potatoes and. Cottage pie and shepherd's pie use exactly the same method and share many similar ingredients, the only real difference being cottage pie uses beef and shepherd's pie uses lamb.